Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Second Day at Sanoviv

Having arrived Sunday afternoon, Monday began my first day of treatment at Sanoviv. Listening to the ocean all night was wonderfully comforting and peaceful.  I found myself out my the private balcony before the sun rose, drinking in the breeze, the smell of the sea air and watching the sky lighten.

There were blood samples to be taken and all things medical early in the am. Breakfast was two poached eggs with a fresh salsa and steamed veggies.  Wow!  I loved it.  Delivered right to my table by Frankie, one of the resident chefs.  Sue, the head nutritionist came by to find out my personal preferences.  She ordered special snacks for me!

Perhaps the highlight of the day was seeing my blood analysis and discovering all about that amazing stuff flowing through my veins.

Using a highpower microscope and special camera, the doctor showed me my healthy red blood cells on a glass slide.  We also saw the ones that were not so healthy.

Healthy red blood cells are pretty independent, nothing attached to them and they have the ability to transport oxygen all over my body.  The unhealthy ones were linked in chains, looking like a stack of coins. AhHa!  Those chains have a hard time getting into the small capillaries of my body - so they need a good dose of antioxidants and minerals to break up the chains and become healthy happy cells again.

We saw my strong white blood cells, the soldiers and defenders of my body - yay!  They patrol throughout the cells - catching the bad ones and taking them out - using the unique weapons they are designed with.  What cool bodies we have!

Signs of some other stuff showed up and the doctor explained how they are able to understand what's happening by studying the blood.  (Disclaimer - anything that isn't explained well is totally due to the author! no one else - but I'll keep learning!)

I have many more fascinating things to share!  See you soon!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you have this blog so that I can keep in touch with you.. No as good as if we were talking at home though... I miss you already and can't wait until you come home healthy and cancer free... I am praying every day that Godd keeps you in his arms as you walk through this challenge.. Hope to talk soon,
    Love and prayers,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry,
    God says: Know that I am God! I know the very number of the hair on your head. I created you, breathed life into you, love you. I am at the ready to fulfill every promise I gave you. Every dream, every thought. We are in this together.Know this, I have prepared the way for you! We have celebrated your healing,you are my righteousness.Fear not I am with you,always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my sis! As usual, you are thinking of others. Look over, and you will see all of us running along beside you....Jesus is Lord over all
    much love, Anne

    ReplyDelete